The other day I was browsing through the news and saw a sobering statistic. One in six American family's are living in poverty. One in six! I watched a video about one family in particular. This family of five was about to lose everything. Their house, car....everything. The mother lost her teaching job just as her husbands hours got cut back. They can barely feed their children. They made 42 dollars too much to qualify for food stamps.
I found myself feeling a tad guilty. Why? Because I complain about how small our house is. About how we don't have a backyard and we're pretty much stuck where we're at right now. I want more space. I want to move on. And here are these people who are going to lose it all.
As cliche' as it sounds, I have to say it. We are so blessed. We have never had to face losing all we have. We've always had plenty to eat. I can't imagine the stress of trying to find the next meal for your children. Making sure they don't starve. A few years back, John's hours were cut and we did have to strap ourselves but still, we never went without and could still pay our bills.
I know this economic crisis is old news. I know many people have lost homes, jobs and the like but for some reason it hit me hard this time.
I need to be more grateful. I'm so glad that we've never had to go through this and pray we never have to.
No comments:
Post a Comment