Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Angel Kisses

I've had freckles forever. I was covered with them, as a child. They still dominate my arms but are much less noticeable on my face. I didn't think much of them, until I started school. Kids would ask, "What are all those brown things?" Some of them looked at me like I had a disease. I became pretty self conscious and started to hate my freckles. Nothing my parents said made me feel much better.

Fast forward to a special Stake Conference. James E. Faust was the quest of honor. As you can guess, there was a huge line to meet him after it was over. My dad was helping put chairs away and suggested to my mom that she take me up. She almost didn't do it. I was a little nervous and was half way hiding behind her. As we got close, I looked up into his face. "Oh, my!" President Faust, said. "Look at all those beautiful angel kisses! You know, only special children get those. You have so many. The angels must know your extra special."  My little brain grabbed onto that and didn't let go. It was ok to have freckles! No, angel kisses! An apostle told me so.

I will never forget that experience. As I got into the teenage years, I would find myself wishing for beautiful, tan, flawless skin. Skin free of  freckles. Then I would remember that they're "angel kisses" and it wasn't so bad. Thank You, President Faust, for making that little, seven year old girl feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment